Salvation is a word which is used to describe what happens to a person who has invited the Lord Jesus to forgive them of there sins and begin a personal relationship with him. The Bible says we can know that we have eternal life. “These things have I written to you who believe in the name of the Son Of God, that ye may KNOW that you have eternal LIFE.” I John 5:13 (NKJV)
Let’s use the word LIFE to describe how a person begins the new and exciting walk with God.
1. The L in LIFE stands for Love. The Bible says that God is love. (I John 4:8) The Bible says that God first loved us. (I John 4:10). He showed us this great love by giving his son Jesus to die on the cross for us. (John 3:16) This teaches us that we are not saved by what we do but by what God has done for us through Jesus Christ His Son.
2. The I in LIfe stands for Imperfect. The reason people do not automatically go to heaven is that we are imperfect. We are sinners. (Romans 3:23) Sin is disobeying God and the Bible says that we all are guilty.
3. The F in LiFe stand for Forgiveness. In Jesus we have…forgiveness… (Ephesians 1:7) Ask yourself this question. Has Jesus forgiven me? He has if you have followed these steps. They are called the three R’s of Repentance.
1. Recognize that Jesus is the only way to heaven. (John 14:6)
2. Repent of your sins. This means turning from your sins and following after the way of God. (Luke 13:3)
3. Resolve to follow Jesus. Salvation does not come just because of a prayer, but because we resolve to follow after God and his plan for our lives.
4. The E in LifE stands for Eternal Life. If we follow what the Bible says, God gives us eternal life both now and one day with him in heaven. (John 10:28) Have you recognized Jesus as the way, repented of your sins and resolved to follow him? The Bible says, “If you will confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (Romans 10:9). This could be your day of salvation? Would you be willing to pray?
Notice how the word Life is spelled out in this prayer.
“Heavenly Father, I believe that you Love me and gave your Son to die for me. I also know I have sinned and need to be forgiven. Lord Jesus I want to turn from my sin and my past and ask you to Forgive me. Please come into my life and give to me this gift of Eternal life. Thank you for forgiving me, coming into my life, and giving to me eternal life. AMEN”.